Friday, December 19, 2008

What's the difference

I mean, here I am again at 12:49 am, awake, answering pages about ridiculous things that can wait until the morning. One patient has even paged me 3 times FROM THE EMERGENCY ROOM WAITING ROOM. I finally told her that she was abusing the system- that I was not her personal concierge doctor, but instead a fellow on-call after a 19 hour and counting day. She was calling to complain about her pain- in between doctors being in her room to see her!! And she screamed at me and told me I was rude when I did express my discontent.

People are so needy out there for hugs, and they often ask for them from us. But it's really not our role- to provide pick-me-ups to anyone who feels like having us paged at 3am. That's where the line gets crossed. And that's where I question- just for a moment- whether this is worth the work. My pager is not a hotline for the emotionally unwell. It is supposed to be for emergency, gastrointestinal-related calls. I mean, do most of you, my readers, at 2am think "I can't sleep, let's page a doctor for some lovin'!" I pity these patients, and now I have spoken to over 50 of them this year between 6pm and 7am on my call nights. Always asking questions that are non-urgent- and keeping me on the phone as long as they can.

I fear that I am getting less patient, that my compassion is being drained by this sleepless exercise in patience and preservation. It's dark, cold December. And this is the 12:49am of a first year fellow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not losing your patience, you're just in dire need of sleep.
Today is the day you get the hugs!
Hang in there, we all need you.
Now, can you feel it? I'm hugging you.

Anonymous said...

What's the difference? YOU'RE the difference (in lots of lives). Can you feel this? I'm giving you the hug. Why? Because we all need hugs, even our strong doctors. You're sleepless in Boston because you care about your patients, give yourself a break. I will keep you in my prayers . Keep the faith

Bostondoc said...

Thanks, Pat. A much needed hug indeed :)